Meso thread lifts: a less invasive alternative to facelift surgery
For those seeking to refresh and rejuvenate an aging face, meso thread lifts offer subtle lifting and contouring without the extensive recovery time and risks of facelift surgery. Here’s an overview of how meso thread lifts work and how they compare to going under the knife:
What are Meso Thread Lifts?
Meso thread lifts involve inserting very thin threads just under the skin that provide a gentle lift to sagging areas of the face and neck. The threads have tiny barbs or cones that act as mini anchors in the skin to lift it up. As they dissolve over time, they stimulate collagen production for longer-lasting tightening effects.
Threads target specific problem areas like drooping eyebrows, sagging jawlines, and loose neck skin. The procedure requires only local anaesthesia and takes about 30-60 minutes to perform. Some mild swelling, redness and discomfort can occur but resolve quickly.
Key Benefits Over Surgical Facelifts
- Less invasive with no general anaesthesia required
- Much quicker recovery – most people resume normal activity in 3-5 days
- More affordable – often less than half the cost of a facelift
- Office-based procedure with minimal risks and side effects
- Natural looking results – avoids a stiff, “pulled” look
- Adjustments can be made by adding more threads over time
Drawbacks Compared to Facelifts
- Not as dramatic or long-lasting as a surgical facelift (1-3 years vs. up to 10)
- Results emerge gradually over a few months as collagen remodels
- May need multiple thread lift sessions for best results
- Limited to mild to moderate sagging and laxity
Key Points for Consideration
Before you decide to go for your first meso thread lift, you may want to take a look at the key points below.
- It takes 2-3 thread lift sessions spaced about 6-8 weeks apart to achieve optimal rejuvenation results. It takes time for the collagen stimulation to gradually take effect.
- Most meso thread lifts last 1-3 years on average before a maintenance session is needed to restore lifting and contouring. However, results can last longer (up to 5 years) if more threads were used.
- Over the first month, some of the initial lifting effects will relax as swelling goes down. Then the improvements will gradually become more noticeable over 2-4 months as new collagen production takes over.
- For many patients, getting a meso thread lift every 2-3 years is sufficient to maintain a more youthful appearance without the need for a surgical facelift.
- Factors that affect longevity include the number of threads inserted, the technique used, the patient’s age and skin elasticity, and how well they take care of their skin after the procedure.
- Annual touch-up sessions, healthy lifestyle and skincare can help prolong the results. Adding more threads at follow up appointments helps reinforce the lifting effects.
One of the biggest appeals of meso thread lifts is the relatively quick recovery period compared to invasive surgical procedures. While some temporary side effects can occur, most patients are able to resume regular activities within just 3-5 days after treatment. The recovery can be summarized in three main stages:
- Days 1-2: Swelling, bruising, and mild pain or numbness from the procedure is common. Head elevation when sleeping and cool compresses help reduce inflammation. Pain medication manages discomfort.
- Days 3-7: Surface swelling and redness improve, numbness and tenderness subside. Makeup can usually be worn to cover residual bruising. Strenuous activities should still be avoided.
- Week 2+: Most patients feel ready for work, exercise, and social events within 1 week. Some tenderness may remain as deeper effects continue over the next 2-3 months. Follow up visits monitor progress.
While some temporary side effects can occur, quick recovery allows resuming normal activities much sooner than a surgical facelift. Be sure to follow all post-procedure instructions to ensure proper healing. Proper skin care and sun protection help prolong results. Smoking should be avoided. Complete healing and the final effects take 2-3 months to fully develop as collagen regeneration improves tone and lift.
Cost of Meso Thread Lift
The average cost of a meso thread lift ranges from $1,500 to $4,000 per treatment session. This can vary based on factors like the extent of the procedure, number of threads used, and the geographic location. In Australia and New Zealand, for example, the average price range is from $1200 to $25,000 per area. Since multiple sessions are usually needed for full results, the total costs end up being between $3,000 to $12,000 on average.
Other factors that would affect the cost of the procedure includes:
- Areas like the mid-face, jowls, cheeks, etc. require more threads which increases the cost. A full face and neck treatment is more expensive.
- The threads themselves represent a major part of the cost, ranging from $200 to $800 or so per thread. More threads means higher overall cost.
- Anaesthesia, facility fees, and other costs like prescriptions and post-procedure garments may add a few hundred dollars more to the total.
In comparison, there are significant savings compared to a surgical facelift that averages $15,000 to $30,000. And alternatively, the the cost of a meso thread lift in popular medical tourism destinations such as Malaysia is even lower. On average, the cost ranges from RM3,000 to RM10,000 depending on the number of threads used and areas treated. A full face and neck thread lift costs RM8,000 to RM12,000 typically. Smaller areas like the cheeks or jowls range from RM3,000 to RM5,000. Each PDO or PLLA thread averages RM800-RM1,500. Additional fees may apply for anaesthesia, facility charges, medications and compression garments.
On average, the cost of receiving thread lifts in Malaysia is 20-40% less than in Western countries. Most clinics offer package pricing when purchasing multiple syringes of threads upfront. And maintenance sessions every 2-3 years average RM3,000-RM5,000. Overall, meso thread lifts are an affordable facial rejuvenation option in Malaysia.
Meso thread lifts offer a low-risk way to refresh the face without an extensive surgical procedure and downtime. While results won’t match a full facelift, threads can be a great option for those seeking moderate rejuvenation with little discomfort and quicker recovery. Talk to us to determine if threads are suited to your specific facial rejuvenation needs and goals.
Latest blog posts